Looking for the best Rotorua glamping spots for a fun getaway? Here’s a detailed review on my favourite place for glamping in Rotorua, Finesse Luxury Glamping, plus a few other options so you can find the best Rotorua glamping spot for you.
I’ve been lucky enough to experience a range of glamping spots all over the globe, from hanging tree tents in the UK to floating cabins in Thailand to geodesic domes in the South Island.
With domes, yurts and tents popping up all over Aotearoa’s countryside, there’s a decent variety of options if you want to try glamping in New Zealand, and Rotorua is home to a few brilliant luxury camping spots to satisfy your glamping needs.
Read on for my full review of Finesse Luxury Glamping after our stay at the end of January, plus a number of other Rotorua glamping spots depending on your budget and travel preferences.
Finesse Luxury Glamping Rotorua
From $300NZD per night
Finesse Luxury Glamping has the biggest glamping tent I’ve ever stayed in, and it’s decked out with seriously fancy stuff!
The safari-style tent has a proper bed with a comfortable mattress and lush linen, a super comfy couch (my mum slept on it, no complaints from her), a set of drawers and bedside tables, solar-powered lights and lanterns, some books and a pack of cards. There’s a gas heater for when it gets chilly too.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: 25 Epic Things to Do in Rotorua
Outside there’s another seating area plus a brazier with bean bags, a kitchen with a gas stove, a bio-loo around the corner, and a hot tub.
Finesse is about 10/15 minutes’ drive from Rotorua, out past Paradise Valley Springs.
Why I loved it:
- SO much space, many glamping places are great for a night away but I honestly feel like I could’ve stayed here for days
- Close to all the best things to do in Rotorua but located on a private farm with no noise or light pollution
- Lots of little extras and nice details like marshmallows for toasting
- Beautiful setting next to a stream and forest
Book it here: Finesse Luxury Glamping
Pod Paradise in Hamurana
From $113NZD per night
This budget-friendly glamping option is located on a small family farm about 20 minutes out of Rotorua, on your way to Tauranga.
Why it’s amazing:
- 4.96/5 rating from 56 reviews
- Newly-built Lithuanian pod-style tiny house with a fire-heated hot tub
- Great spot for stargazing and relaxing away from civilisation
- Comfy double bed, a single bed plus a pull-out trundler for a child
- Kitchenette with a mini-fridge, microwave, jug and toaster, plus a light breakfast is provided
Helpful guest review: “This place is absolutely gorgeous! Would 100% recommend to anyone wanting a small getaway. Kirsten was lovely and very friendly, and gave us a much later checkout which we really appreciated. Not to mention two of the friendliest sheep I’ve ever met to feed right next door! All the little touches are thoroughly appreciated and noticed.” – Emma, Jan 2021
Book it here: Pod Paradise in Hamurana
Jack’s Hut at Lake Tarawera
From $324NZD per night
This authentic shepherd’s hut is ideal if you need a spot of relaxation. Soak up lake and forest views from the wood-fired hot tub, cosy up by the fire, or head down to Stoney Point Beach for a refreshing dip.
Why it’s amazing:
- 4.93/5 rating from 43 reviews
- Easy access to walking tracks, bike trails and the lake
- Kitchenette, toilet, outdoor shower, swing seat on the deck and BBQ
- Basket breakfast included in your stay
Helpful guest review: “If you want a total escape and a ‘hut’ experience but still with some comforts – then this is your place. Jack’s Hut comes with a story. You can read about Jack Mackay’s life while sitting on the balcony in a swing chair watching the deer and fawn run around with Lake Tarawera and Mt Tarawera as the backdrop. A super breakfast was a lovely surprise, especially the marshmallows there to toast on the fire pit – not to mention the fire heated hot tub.” – Philippa, Jan 2021
Book it here: Jack’s Hut, Tarawera
RV and Teepee near Lake Tarawera
From $204NZD per night
If you need space for a group, this RV/Teepee combo is a brilliant option. The caravan is USA-made ultra fancy 5th wheeler that’s incredibly well equipped, and the teepee has an extra four beds for additional guests.
Why it’s amazing:
- Luxury caravan with a main bedroom plus fold out couch, kitchen, bathroom, dining area and smart TV
- Outdoor area with extendable awning, spa pool and BBQ
- LOADS of space to park your cars and boats
- Short drive down to the lake
Helpful guest review: “Norman was a fantastic host and made sure we were very comfortable. The place itself was such a great set up with the caravan and teepee and deck to relax on. The spa was fabulous after a day on the lake. There was a lot of outdoor space you feel like your in your own wee oasis. It was the best getaway and it is soooo close to the Tarawera Landing boat ramp and café (delicious real fruit ice creams ). Our family loved it and it has definitely been one of our favourite holidays to date. We would highly recommend to all.” – Cam & Zoe, Feb 2021
Book it here: RV + Teepee at Lake Tarawera
Totally Tarawera Glamping Rotorua
From $250NZD per night
Totally Tarawera has two glamping options near Rotorua, one for two people and another separate one for families of two adults and up to four kids. These tents are some of the most secluded glamping spots in New Zealand, amongst thriving native bush with easy access to walking tracks, natural hot springs and the lake.
Why it’s amazing:
- The tents and campsite are designed using elements of Maori culture to reflect the rich heritage of this area
- The rate includes water taxi ride to the campsite
- Optional food hampers available for breakfast or dinner, or ask for the Hot Water Beach recipe book to try your hand at cooking in the geothermal water and ground
- Kanuka (the smaller tent) also has a kayak for guests to use
- Totally Tarawera also offers cultural tours and guided walks in the area
Book it here: Totally Tarawera Glamping
I hope one (or more) of these epic Rotorua glamping spots has tickled your fancy. If you end up booking one for your Rotorua holiday let me know in the comments! Happy travels.
- The Ultimate New Zealand Bucket List
- 22 of the Best Glamping Spots in New Zealand
- 25 Epic Things to Do in Rotorua
Like this blog? Pin it!
Huge thanks to the Finesse Luxury Glamping team for hosting us for one night. As always, all opinions are my own and are completely based on my personal opinion.
Leave a Reply